Book of Enoch
Although Jude 1:14-15 makes mention of a quote from the Book of Enoch (links to Wikipedia), the ancient book itself has not been available for our review until recent years. With the recent discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls, fragments of the Book of Enoch have been found, giving us a reading of the details of the fall of man, and the fall of angels.
A number of the Church Fathers thought it to be an authentic work particularly Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Origen, Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian based on its quotation in Jude. (Wikipedia Encyclopedia)
The book of Enoch depicts the interaction of the fallen angels with mankind:
Later Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel look down and see the lawlessness caused by the fallen angels and make a petition to God to act. Uriel is sent to Noah to reveal to him the flood that is coming. Raphael is sent to bind Azazel, while Michael is sent to bind the associates of Shemyazaz (also called Satan).
One of the key elements of reading this book, is the certainty of removing any doubt of the SDA and JW heresy that Michael the archangel, and Jesus Christ, are the same person as taught by these false teachers. The book clearly shows Michael as "one of the angels" who is submitted to authority, and subservient to the coming Messiah (Jesus Christ). It would reason that these two groups, the SDA's and JW's, would then want to discredit the authenticity of this book since it will melt down their "Jesus is Michael" heresy, but I would like to make a point of fact that they cannot escape: if they discredit the Book of Enoch, they must also strike out the letter of Jude from the Bible who quoted from Enoch! You cannot strike out Enoch without also striking out Jude who used the quotation!
Jude, 1:14–15 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these [men], saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Enoch 1:9, translated from the Ethiopian: And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh Of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
Remember, the same Jude who read, and quoted from the Book of Enoch, wrote the following scripture so commonly quoted by SDA's and JW's to prove that Jesus is Michael:
Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
The following quotations from the Book of Enoch making mention of Michael the archangel!
IX. I. And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven… 4. And they said to the Lord of Ages: Lord of Lords, God of gods, King of Kings (and God of Ages)…5. Thou hast made all things…
X. II. And the Lord said unto Michael
XX. I. And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. 2. Uriel, one of the holy angels who is over the world and over Tartarus 3. Raphael, one of the holy angels, who is over the spirits of men, 4. Ragual, one of the holy angels who takes vengeance on the world of the luminaries. 5. Michael, one of the holy angels, to wit, he that is set over the best part of mankind and over chaos. 6. Saraqael, one of the holy angels, who is set over the spirits, who sin in the spirit. 7. Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. 8. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.
XXIV 6. Then answered Michael, one of the holy [and honored] angels who was with me, and was their leader, XXV. I., 3. And he (Michael) said unto me … This high mountain which thou hast seen, whose summit is like the throne of God, is His throne, where the Holy Great One, the Lord of Glory, the Eternal King will sit, when He shall come down to visit the earth with goodness.
XL. 8. Who are these four presences which I have seen… 9. And he said to me: This first is Michael, the merciful and long-suffering: and the second, who is set over all the diseases and all the wounds of the children of men, is Raphael: and the third … is Gabriel, …and the fourth, is Phanuel 10. And these are the four angels of the Lord of Spirits and the four voices I heard in those days.
LIV. 6. And Michael, and Gabriel, and Raphael, and Phanuel shall take hold of them on that great day, and cast them on that day into the burning furnace, that the Lord of Spirits may take vengeance on them for their unrighteousness in becoming subject to Satan and leading astray those who dwell on the earth.
LXVIII. 4. And it came to pass when he stood before the Lord of Spirits, Michael said to Raphael: “I will not take their part under the eye of the Lord; for the Lord of Spirits has been angry with them…
LXXI. 3. And the angel Michael [one of the archangels] seized me by my right hand … 8. …And Michael, and Raphael, and Gabriel, and Phenuel, and the holy angels who are above the heavens, go in and out of that house.
The book of Enoch makes a very clear distinction between Michael the archangel, and the Messiah. Although the name of Jesus was not yet revealed to Enoch, Jesus is clearly identified as “The Son of Man.” For the J.W., who refuses to bow their knee and worship the Lord Jesus Christ, it may be helpful to read line “9” as all the earth will one day worship Jesus!
LXII. 1. And thus the Lord commanded the kings and the mighty and the exalted, and those who dwell on the earth, and said : “Open your eyes and lift up your horns if ye are able to recognize the Elect One.”
2. And the Lord of Spirits seated him on the throne of His glory, and the spirit of righteousness was poured out upon him, and the word of his mouth slays all the sinners, and all the unrighteous are destroyed before his face.
3. And there shall stand up in that day all the kings and the mighty, and the exalted and those who hold the earth, and they shall see and recognize how he sits on the throne of his glory, and righteousness is judged before him, and no lying word is spoken before him.
4. Then shall pain come upon them as on a woman in travail, [and she has pain in bringing forth] When her child enters the mouth of the womb
5. and one portion of them shall look on the other, and they shall be terrified, and they shall be downcast of countenance, and pain shall seize them, when they see that Son of Man Sitting on the throne of his glory.
6. And the kings and the mighty and all who possess the earth shall bless and glorify and extol him who rules over all, who is hidden.
7. For from the beginning the Son of Man was hidden, and the Most High preserved him in the presence of His might, and revealed him to the elect.
8. And the congregation of the elect and holy shall be sown, and all the elect shall stand before him on that day.
9. And all the kings and the mighty and the exalted and those who rule the earth shall fall down before him on their faces, and worship and set their hope upon the Son of Man, and petition him and supplicate for mercy at his hands …